Exhibited: World’s Columbian Exposition, Chicago, 1893Graphite, pastel charcoal, tempera on paper mounted on canvas Louis Comfort Tiffany, American, 1848–1933
Signed, lower left: Louis C. Tiffany [not visible in detail]71 1/2 x 301 1/2 in. (60-010) Audio Guide
Yale patron Simeon Baldwin Chittenden (1814–89) of Brooklyn, New York, commissioned a window from Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848–1933) for the new library he was funding in memory of his daughter, Mary Hartwell Chittenden Lusk (d. 1871), mother-in-law to Tiffany’s eldest daughter, Mary, and the wife of Tiffany’s doctor and friend, Dr. William T. Lusk (1838–97). The design is a triptych with twenty-four allegorical figures addressing science and religion as the foundation for education and their relationships to art and music. The thirty-foot-wide window is located in a lecture hall in Linsly-Chittenden Hall. The library was converted in 1930 to offices and classrooms.